Skillnet: Are You New to Managing People? 2 Day Course (Dec 4th and 10th, 2019)Name: Skillnet: Are You New to Managing People? 2 Day Course (Dec 4th and 10th, 2019)Date: December 4, 2019Time: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM GMTRegistration: Register NowEvent Description:
New to Managing People Course Overview
Congratulations on becoming a manager, all your hard work has paid off. So, what happens next!! For many people, they are left alone to find their way, it’s a sink or swim scenario. For others, they will join Sean McLoughney on the “New to managing a team – my first 100 days” workshop.
In reality, most people who are new to the role of managing people will struggle with the transition from one of the team to the leader of the team, it’s a normal reaction. By joining their peers on this workshop, they will be able to discuss common issues and challenges and more importantly leave with a practical 100-day action plan.
During the session, Sean will share some skills and techniques to help you improve how you manage and lead your team.
Who should attend
This workshop will help people who are new to managing people to put a plan in place and gives them some frameworks and techniques to manage their new team. It is suitable for people who are new to management or looking to improve their skillset.
. Course requirements
Each person is expected to participate fully throughout the session.
Some key topics that are explored during this session include:
Session 1 – Managing the team
People are the bedrock of successful companies. People are also complex and no one managerial style suits all. If you want to be successful in managing people you will need to develop a range of skills that are people focused.
• Review your new role; how this impacts each team; challenges that you face and how to overcome them
• Different personality types within your teams, how to manage each personality and the best approach to communicating with each person
• What’s happening within the team, Tuckman stages of team development, how to move the team through each stage and communicating your vision for the team
• Agreeing your 100-day action plan.
Session 2 – Managing performance
One of the key roles of the manager is to achieve results and this session is very much a look at how we can create the right environment to achieve expected results. We start with engagement and how it impacts performance and as a manager what you need to do to ensure a high level of engagement from your team
• Clarity around standards, goals and expectations that builds engagement
• Create a feedback culture within the team
• Establish your “ways of working” for the team, your style of management and managing expectations
• Support – the unwritten contract
• Write a Personal Development Plan for the team
Session 3 – Coaching the team
The role of coaching is now key element for managers in improving performance and retaining talented people.
• Case study – it wouldn’t happen on my team
• Building a framework to deliver one to one coaching sessions
• Integrating coaching into the performance management process and performance conversations
• Delegation as part of coaching, a 6-step approach
Session 4 – Creating your 100-day plan
You will also receive a personal notebook that contains 11 exercises to get your 100-day action plan started. You can also use this personal notebook to document all your ideas and actions that supports your learning after you return to the office.
• Work with your peers to build your personal plan
• Discuss options and gain support for your plan
• Identify quick wins to ensure your plan gets started
Upon satisfactory completion of this workshop you will be able to:
• Understand the various personalities with your team and identify the best way to manage them
• Align everyone’s performance to the business plan
• Establish a feedback culture that encourages outstanding performance
• Integrate a coaching style into the performance conversation
• Highlight the importance of an agreed “ways of working” within the
Training & Events